23 October 2007

Crochet by Number

Over the weekend I tried to make the fluffy bunny slippers from Debbie Stoller's Stitch n' Bitch crochet.

I ended up with a slipper but it's not fluffy and it's not a bunny and I didn't make it according to the pattern which had so many mistakes (corrected on the online errata page) that I gave it up.

It is disappointing trying a pattern that comes to naught. It makes me want to crochet something wild and lovely that will look all the better for the mistakes it includes.

I'm thinking of maybe trying to do some crochet paintings. Mistakes, now I think about it, would possibly muck up a looped Hockney, but the pools of blue yarn coagulating on the wall would be so lovely.













Maybe I'll start my paint-by-crochet project by trying to imitate my other favourite painter, Hernan Bas, in which case all manner of loopy bursts of colour would fit in just fine.


No comments: